Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Hi! In today's Double Take post, I will be using a sketch to create the following layout and card. :)


If you've never used a sketch before, I highly recommend trying it out. It's great for beginners to give you a place to start, but it's also great for more advanced crafters because it can challenge you to do something you might not have thought of. AND, since we're doing a double take here, there's also the bonus of giving you a general layout for BOTH a layout and card, so you can get two projects done at once!! I made my own sketches for these projects - using one general layout, but changing it up as needed (sentiment for a card, but title for a layout; focal point for a card, but photos for a layout, etc.) Here is what they look like:
You might be able to tell from the sketch that I won't be doing a traditional 12x12 layout today, which is the norm for me. Instead, I thought I'd give an 8x5x11 layout a try, especially since the proportions are so much closer to a standard card size. Although if you wanted to translate the sketch into a 12x12 layout, you can of course!!

So let's get started on the layout... First, I took a white piece of cardstock and started cutting some triangles out with my craft knife. I wanted to create a confetti-like effect, kind of like the triangles were falling from the top of the page. I backed each cut triangle with little scraps of patterned paper. After that was done, I wanted just a bit more dimension, so I stamped some Triangle Style stamps onto vellum, cut them out, and sprinkled those around as well.


Then I started creating the diagonal stripe across the page. I took a few pieces of patterned paper strips (scraps, branding strips, and washi tape are perfect for this - use up that stash!!) You can see that I also stamped a really fun border using another stamp from Triangle Style. After that, I placed my photos down and layered a bunch of embellishments and stickers from my stash. You can see in the picture below that I used yet another DIY die cut embellishment that I premade. I think my absolute favorite way to use them at the moment is spraying them with Gold Color Shine. LOVE that little bit of shimmer it adds!!


The next step was to add my title. I decided to do some fun calligraphy (I admit I might have been procrastinating at work...) for my title, and then I made it into a cut file for my Cameo. If you want to download it, you can do so here!


Finally, I added my journaling (which there was a lot of this time) and some splashes of gold mist, and my layout was complete!


For my card, I decided I wanted to do the same triangle border as my layout, because it came out so beautifully. Again, I took some paper strips from my desk and made that diagonal line. Super simple and easy. I also embossed a sentiment from Super Mom onto one of the strips.


Since I had that stamp set out, I decided to make my focal point using it, too. I stamped the "Mom" stamp, and then that great explosion stamp (using another "Mom" stamp that I cut out and used as a mask)

I decided not to use little triangle confetti pieces for this card, but some circular elements instead. That's another great thing about sketches - they're open for interpretation, and you can change whatever you want as you go along!! I used some enamel dots and sequins, but some other great ideas are gems or stamping the sequin stamps from Easily Distracted. That was all that was needed as the final touch to my card!


Here are the stamp sets I used in my projects:


I hope these projects have inspired you to use a sketch (maybe even the ones I made!) on your next project... or maybe you're inspired to do TWO projects at once using the same supplies. Either way, I would LOVE to see what you make, so leave a comment with a link to it in this post.

Just in case you missed the October release, make sure to check out the post here where there is tons of inspiration from the fabulous design team showing you just a few ways to use the new, versatile, AMAZING sets!! And if you haven't checked out the new flair in the shop, you really MUST - they are so cute. Here's a little peek at one of my favorite sets, which I think it super trendy:


:) Michelle

Pin It

4 comments:

Share your lovely thoughts with me :)