Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Hello! Last week, I showed you a layout with a fun use of my circle punch. Today I have a fun tutorial for you today - it's for a really fun, dimensional border that you only need the same ONE punch for (and a bunch of scraps). Here's a little look at what it will look like at the end:


First off, grab a circle punch - I used a 1" punch, but you can use any size up to about 2". Then, take a bunch of paper scraps. Make sure they are double sided, because a little of both sides will show up in the end. It might be a good idea to choose one 6x6 pad to do this with, just so that everything coordinates in the end. But really, it's up to you! Punch away until you have a nice sized pile that looks like this.


This next step is really important, and gives the border its unique character, so pay attention! You will need a very sturdy piece of cardstock, or maybe even some thin chipboard. Trim a short strip that is the length of approximately half the width of your circles. In my case, it was 1/2 inch. Place this guide in the middle of a circle and then fold the sides over. Here's what it looks like in action:


Do this with all the circles. Make sure you alternate which pattern shows up as the base or the flaps if you have duplicate circles from the same piece of paper. Then the next step is to assemble!

Take a long scrap of paper that you will lay the pieces on. The fastest way to attach them all is to place long strips of adhesive along the edge of the paper, so you don't have to place adhesive on each piece one at a time. Hope that makes sense!


You simply have to place the circles side by side. However, when you get to the second row, you can alternate which circle overlaps the other for even more variation. You can add more rows if you want, but I just did two. Make the strip as long as you can until you run out of circles. You can always trim your finished strip into smaller pieces, which I did later on.


Trim off the scrap paper from the bottom of your strip, and then it's ready to add to a layout!


I kept this layout pretty simple, because I think the circle border really adds a lot already.


So there you have it, a fun way to put a basic punch to use! I hope this inspires you to take out your simple circle punch and do something fun with it!!

P.S. I recently discovered an AMAZING way to make DIY enamel dots!!! I'm working on a tutorial for you all now, and will have it up soon! I'm thinking of doing a little giveaway of them, too - let me know your thoughts on this in the comments - would you like a giveaway, does DIY enamel dots sound interesting to you?? ;)

Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share your lovely thoughts with me :)